Sunday, March 9, 2008

Poverty in B-More

There is an interesting article about the state of Maryland and poverty in the Baltimore Sun "Ideas" section today. Seek link

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/ideas/bal-id.poverty09mar09,0,3323127.story

While Maryland is one of the wealthiest states to live in, it also has some startling poverty statitics particularly in Allegany County, Somerset County, and of course Baltimore City. In Baltimore City 22.2% of the population lives in poverty. One out of every five people! The city has approximately 650,000 residents so that is about 144,300 people. To be counted in this statistic if single you must make no more than $9,973 or if a family of four no more than $20,000. In actual fact the number of people living in poverty is greater as there are more people who maybe didn't make the official "poverty cut off" yet are still attempting to carve out a living making substandard wages. While this is troubling, it is even worse for youth. Taking the total number of youth (18 and under) the statitic jumps to 30.9% of the youth of Baltimore living in poverty.

What is the point Rob? Poverty is a very serious issue in Baltimore. (I hate even saying it is an "issue" because that "issue" is little boys and girls and adults struggling). What many bloggers and would be prophets have done at this point after hearing these statistics (myself included) is then begin to criticize the church and call them to really have concern for the poor, which could be a good idea as it seems like at times we (I am a part of the church too) don't care that much (Proverbs 21.13).

However for me, at least this time, this is not what I want to do. Why? Because if I am honest I am not sure I am doing a whole lot for "the poor" myself (confession ya'll). Here is what I am saying. Instead of making the church (meaning Church Y and Pastor X) responsible and accountable for poverty in Baltimore. I want to know if there are any believers in the city or outside of the city that actually want to do something real for those in poverty here. I want to know if there is anyone that actually wants to hire a young man who has a record. I want to know if there are any professionals that are willing to band their resources together to purchase a home and provide housing for those in need. I want to know if there is anyone already offering real solutions or wanting to be involved in offering real solutions.

I just celebrated my 30th birthday. My last blog was actually on my birthday, February 8th. As I think about my life and the next 40 years of my life in which I am expected to live, I want to make it count. I want to actually do one or two things well that makes a difference in the city I love. If you are interested in that as well, I'd love to hear from you.

"7But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare."
Jeremiah 29.7

1 comment:

Sean Robinson said...

I am with you man! Real Talk!