Sunday, October 21, 2007

A second grade Bible Student

Tonight I came up stairs to finish putting together a bookshelf to hold all my books. I like having books. I like reading them and studying, but if I am honest I really like people to think I am smart and theological when they come over... especially my pastor friends.

Anyway, as I passed the girls room (Miram age 7 and Ellie age 3) I overheard Miriam talking. I peeked in to find her sitting up in bed with her book light reading the Bible outloud to her sister. (Last Easter I gave her the NIrV kids devotional Bible). She was up past her bedtime, but hey I can't discipline her for reading the Bible right? Actually, I almost started crying. She was reading in Isaiah and when I asked her how she got there she showed me that she had read one of the 'devotional' sections on Genesis 1 and 2 (she already read the entire book of Genesis by the way last spring... on her own ya'll). In the devotional they have cross references which is sort of an 'extra credit' part and in this one they had referenced Isaiah 45.18.

"For thus says the Lord, who created the heavens (He is God!), who formed the earth and made it (He established it; he did not create it empty, he formed it to be inhabited!): " 'I am the LORD and there is no other.' "

I asked her how she had found Isaiah because I don't remember showing her how to look up Bible passages and she showed me how she went to the table of contents and found it. Then she was able to find the verse. My daughter has placed her faith in Jesus and knows what it means to repent of her sins. The Holy Spirit has indwelt her and I believe was clearly leading her tonight. Not only to illuminate the scriptures and help her find them but also to read to her sister.

I share all of this not to brag about my girl (though I really want to) but simply to share with you that if a second grader will read her Bible why don't you? Why don't I at times? Yeah... I have all the books but tonight my daughter was more spiritual than me and closer to Jesus than me. Tonight I continued to be humbled by her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary and I thought this post was so great. You go Miriam!